iOS Autolayout examples

It took a while, but I finally feel I can get auto layout to do the basic things that I need it to do. I’ve put together a test app with a few different layouts – each in a separate view controller. My approach to work with auto layout has been: Define the layout and behavior of the objects to put in the view Add one by one the elements

Read more

New install of Mapnik on iMac with Mac OSX Lion

Another mapnik install, another set of issues… I had a brand new OSX Lion install on my imac, but had a few issues with the brew install of Mapnik as I wanted to link it to Cairo. See the Homebrew Mapnik instruction page brew install python Change the .bash_profile to add export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH. brew install git brew install postgresql brew install icu4c brew install proj brew install libtiff brew install

Read more

On extracting timetable/spreadsheet data from PDF files

For my work on Kemtro, I recently explored how I could extract timetable information available in PDF files. There are still many transport agencies that do not want (or can’t for various reasons) make their data available in a friendly format (GTFS). I’m not aware of any easy and centralized way of doing that, so I did what I typically do when it comes to ‘liberating’ data: I first scraped

Read more

Updated portfolio

I updated my portfolio, with more details about my past research projects, as well as my latest project Kemtro – which you can find on the appstore :)

Debian and Postgres – missing locales

Problem: (postgres)-# create database “newdb” WITH ENCODING = ‘UTF8′ LC_CTYPE=’en_US.utf8′ LC_COLLATE=’en_US.utf8′ TEMPLATE template0; createdb: database creation failed: ERROR: encoding UTF8 does not match locale en_US DETAIL: The chosen LC_CTYPE setting requires encoding LATIN1. 1 2 3 (postgres)-# create database “newdb” WITH ENCODING = ‘UTF8′ LC_CTYPE=’en_US.utf8′ LC_COLLATE=’en_US.utf8′ TEMPLATE template0; createdb: database creation failed: ERROR: encoding UTF8 does not match locale en_US DETAIL: The chosen LC_CTYPE setting requires encoding LATIN1. Check what

Read more

    1 2 4